Berezovsky district is the site of the first gas field in Western Siberia and, to a certain extent, it is a symbol and a turning point of the new economic development of the Tyumen region.
There were a lot of accidents in the discovery of Berezovsky gas. By chance, a caravan with barges carrying drilling equipment did not reach Kazym, where it was supposed to start work, but got stuck in Berezovo. In general, Bystritsky accidentally chose the outskirts of Berezov, on the bank of the Vogulka River, for the well. Initially, the drilling rig, one of the 26 supporting ones, should have been installed two kilometers east of Berezov, but this made it difficult to unload and deliver equipment. Accidentally or not, the strongest fountain of natural gas – 1 million cubic meters per day – struck from an "unplanned" well in 1953, but later. There was a beginning…
In the summer of 1952, the first detachment of the exploration party arrived in Berezovo. It was supposed to drill a well near the district hospital, but the noise of diesel engines would negatively affect patients, and there was no experience of modern technical means and research methods at that time. It was decided to put the drilling rig on the outskirts of the village, behind the glass factory.
Due to the delay of cargo in transit, the well R-1 on Berezovskaya Square began to be drilled only in late autumn – September 29, 1952.
The well gave a little gas, then the gas ran out. The deeper the chisels went into the ground, the less hope there was for discovery. Finally, the trust decided: the well is hopeless. The support drilling was completed on July 23, 1953. Of the planned 2,900 meters, 1,344.1 meters were passed. The task was determined: to lift the tool, to dismantle, to preserve the well. On September 21, 1953, at 21:30, the brigade was lifting tools. It remained to raise 200 meters of pipes, and suddenly a growing rumble came from the depths. 5-inch pipes themselves crawled up. The ground shook as if from an explosion. With a steady, whistling roar, the well spoke. The fountain threw out all the tools and, gaining strength, enveloped the entire drilling rig, rising higher and higher. The raging fountain from the well looked like a volcanic eruption from a distance. Two hundred meters of steel pipes were carried out of the mouth, dragged through the upper spans of a forty-meter tower, twisted like pasta, and scattered around. The well initially spat out a clay solution in jerks, and then a relatively smooth column of gas and water went. The drilling rig was covered with ice, icicles of terrifying size grew on the steel structures. The weight of the ice floes broke down. A whole mountain of ice has grown at the foot of the gushing tower. The tower was shaking from the blows. The deafening roar could be heard from tens of kilometers away. The news of a powerful gas fountain has spread all over the country.