Salekhard (from Nenets "settlement on the cape") is the administrative center of the Yamalo–Nenets Autonomous Okrug. The city has a long history. Salekhard (formerly Obdorsk, from the Komi language means "place near the Ob") was founded as a Cossack fortress in 1595. At that time it was the northernmost outpost of the Russian state. Subsequently, Salekhard went through many transformations, but always remained the administrative center.
In 1635, the city was renamed Obdorskaya outpost, and at the end of the XVIII century it was abolished altogether, while the outpost was transformed into the village of Obdorsk, the center of the Obdorskaya volost of the Berezovsky district of Tobolsk province. At the same time, Russians began to move to Obdorsk for permanent residence, the city became a center of trade, the annual winter Obdorsk fair takes place in it, the turnover of which exceeded 100 thousand rubles. Merchants brought flour and bread, metal products and jewelry, cloth, wine and tobacco, and took away furs, walrus tusks, fish and a bird's feather.
In 1897, in the village of Obdorsky, Berezovsky District, there were already 30 houses, about 150 trading shops and 500 permanent residents, whose main occupations were hunting, fishing, crafts and trade.
During the Soviet era, Obdorsk became the capital of the newly formed Yamalo-Nenets National District, and in 1933 received a new name – Salekhard. It was transformed into a city on June 20, 1938.
The city is built on permafrost, right on the line of the Arctic Circle, and this affected its appearance and living conditions. It is all the more interesting to see how much everything has changed in just a few decades.
The main street of the city is Lenin Street. In the second half of the twentieth century, the road and sidewalks here were wooden, and in winter the street became impassable due to snowdrifts.
Gradually, the whole city is being updated. Old wooden barracks are being demolished, erecting high-rise buildings instead. People are becoming more comfortable to live, and the city itself is being transformed. But despite the drastic changes, some buildings still retain their characteristic appearance. For example, the building of the district committee of the CPSU (b), built in 1933. Of course, there were repairs and changes to the facade, but the overall style and mood remained