The history of Tyumen shipbuilding goes back to the first half of the XIX century. In 1838, the first Siberian steamship Osnova was built in Tyumen. Six years later, the second steamer, the Vzor, saw the light. Both vessels had wooden hulls and low-power steam engines. At the famous Tyumen Industrial Exhibition of 1871, the products of the Tyumen Gullet factory attracted the most attention. It produced steamships, iron barges, steam engines of various systems. In June 1893, the first steamship in Siberia for the transportation of people, the "Breadwinner", descended from the shipyards of the plant.
With the foundation of the Gullet plant, the period of organized shipbuilding in Tyumen began. After the October Revolution in 1918, a decree on the nationalization of the fleet was issued, and merchant shipyards became state property in the Ob-Irtysh basin.
In 1923, it was decided to build two lighters in Tyumen for the Kara expedition. For these purposes, a branch of the Baltic Plant was opened here. After several ships left the stocks in Tyumen, it was finally decided to create an independent shipbuilding plant in the city. This event took place on June 5, 1928. And by the end of the first five-year plan, the Tyumen shipyard launched 15 steamships, 37 lighters and barges. In 1940, a ship repair plant joined the shipyard.
During the war, equipment and employees of shipbuilding plants from Leningrad, Kherson, Kerch, Nikolaev, Feodosia, Rybinsk were evacuated to the Tyumen shipyard. The plant switched to the production of defense products: mines, rockets, mortars. Subsequently, the production of torpedo boats was mastered. They produced about 150 pieces. Ten sailors who served on Tyumen boats were awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union. The work of the Tyumen Shipyard team during the war was repeatedly marked by the passing banner of the USSR State Defense Committee. The plant was awarded the Order of the Patriotic War of the first degree.
In 1947, the company resumed the production of civilian products. From 1947 to 1992, more than 2,200 vessels were built: passenger and bulk, dry cargo and tow ships, refrigerators, car ferries, tugs, tankers, barges of various types. For the creation of the floating power plant "Northern Lights" Tyumen shipbuilders were awarded the USSR State Prize, repeatedly received diplomas and medals of VDNH. For excellent work, the government of the country awarded the plant the honorary title of the 60th anniversary of the USSR. Until 1963, the company was called Plant No. 639, n/a 45. It received its current name "Tyumen Shipbuilding Plant" on July 9, 1963 by a decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR.
On August 24, 1992, the company ceased to be state property and became a joint-stock company without the participation of state capital.
To date, the main activities of the multidisciplinary production are shipbuilding for the oil industry, the manufacture of metal structures, household goods and other types of products.