Tobolsk Prison Castle
The project of the prison castle, made by architect Weigel, was approved in 1838, after Tsarevich Alexander Nikolaevich visited Tobolsk. The planning of the site for the construction of the prison was entrusted to the provincial architect Suvorov. The territory in the mountainous part of the city at the north-western edge of the Trinity Cape was a place of the prison. Alterations, as well as the completion of the church, delayed the opening of the prison until 1855. The Prison Castle was entrusted with the maintenance of prisoners in the fortress, sending them to hard labor and settlement.
When placing prisoners in prison, the law's requirement on their separation by gender, age and categories of crimes was observed. Prisoners of the prison castle were involved in household prison work: cooking, water delivery, firewood harvesting, keeping the prison clean, caring for the sick, mending clothes, washing, etc.
The prison library had a large number of books and magazines. Books were issued twice a month. There is one book per person in the common cells, and two books in the solitary.
In 1898, two single cells of the Tobolsk Convict Prison No. 1 were adapted for prayer rooms for Catholics and Protestants.
In July 1907 and October 1918, two major riots took place in the Prison Castle, which were suppressed with great cruelty. In the 1920s and 1930s, Tobolsk was assigned the role of transfer points for exiled prisoners. From 1937 to 1938, 2,500 people were shot.
In Soviet times, the castle had the status of a high-security prison. In 1989, the prison was abolished. There is an urban legend in Tobolsk that there are immured underground floors in the central complex.