At the beginning of the XIX century, the leather production of Tyumen acquired an all-Russian character. According to this indicator, the city occupied one of the first places in the country. In Tyumen in 1879 there were 57 factories for the manufacture of pet skins, which produced up to 500,000 skins per year in the amount of 3 million rubles.
Tyumen tanneries supplied their goods to Nizhny Novgorod and Irbit fairs, Troitsk, Orenburg province, Omsk and Kazan quartermaster warehouses.
The leather production of Tyumen and the surrounding villages was a classic example of a mixed manufactory. In this regard, the observations of the publicist N.V. Shelgunov, published in 1863 in the magazine "Russian Word", are very valuable: "Up to 70,000 pairs of brodni are sewn in Tyumen... The merchant gives the goods to the owner - the shoemaker; he cuts and gives them to the workers for sewing. It happens that they work in workshops, and even more often the work is given to the masters at home. Sewing is done by men, women and even children. In remote and poor parts of the city, it is a very common thing to see 10-12-year-old girls on the street engaged in sewing mittens."
Goods with the stamp of the Tyumen Fair were very much appreciated in the world – it was the standard and standard for those times. Without the stamp of the Tyumen Fair, a similar product from other regions of Russia for sale abroad was not recognized or declared unsorted and was sold at bargain prices.
After the 1917 revolution, all 15 tanneries of the Tobolsk province were nationalized. In 1920, the resolution of the joint meeting of the board of tanners of the industrial department of the Tyumen State Agricultural Academy and the department of the trade Union announced that the working tanneries became branches of one state central tannery No. 1.
In 1934, the Tyumen group of leather and fur factories was named the sheepskin and fur factory, and in 1935 the factory was named after S. M. Kirov.