The Shaimskoye oil field is an oil field located in the Kondinsky district of the Khanty—Mansi Autonomous Okrug, in the western part of the Kondinsky oil and gas bearing district of the Ural oil and gas region. It was opened in 1960, giving the first fountain of industrial oil in the West Siberian oil and gas basin with a flow rate of 400 tons per day. This marked the beginning of the big Tyumen oil, which provides two-thirds of Russia's production.
In the late autumn of 1958, a party of Gershanik went to Shaim to conduct a seismic survey. There were 70 people and a caravan of 8 tractors, 10 beams and two seismic stations on board the barge, which the tug had already dragged along the freezing Conde. They sailed to the landing site for 12 days. Geological exploration and seismic work within the Nakhrachinskaya and Mulymyinskaya squares in the winter of 1958-1959 revealed Trekhozernoe and Mulymyinsky local uplifts in the central part of the Shaimsky shaft. Head of "Glavtyumengeology" Yu. G. Hervier decided to send Semyon Urusov's brigade from the Ural integrated geological exploration expedition based in Tavda, Sverdlovsk Region, to this area. As Urusov recalled, upon receiving this news, the brigade was divided: the drillers did not want to leave the equipped city of Tavda for the taiga. As a result, 11 people flew to Shaim by seaplane, which landed on a tributary of the Konda River in the summer of 1959. The brigade arrived in the village of the timber farm Mulymya, where members of the drilling crew went home to remove corners, one or two people at a time. All the former driller's assistants were put as drillers, and local people were recruited as driller's assistants.
The working conditions were harsh. Only one caravan with drilling and other equipment were able to pass through the Irtysh and Konda from Khanty-Mansiysk in 1959, and the second one had to be returned due to early ice at the mouth of the Konda. Some of the most necessary materials were delivered by AN-2 aircraft to the landing site, which was uprooted on the outskirts of the village of Ushya. Residential and working trailers (beams), sledging equipment and much more had to be manufactured on the spot, with the support of the Mulyminsk forestry enterprise, which supplied wood. Diesel engines for drilling rigs were delivered by rail from Tyumen to the Sosva transshipment base, where they were loaded onto cars to be taken to the Shaim expedition on winter roads.
On September 25, 1959, the Mulymya exploration well R-2 near the village of Ushya gave an influx of oil with a flow rate of about one ton per day, which became a harbinger of the discovery of industrial oil reserves. The flow rate of the next well R-7, drilled in April 1960 on Mulymyinskaya Square, amounted to 10-12 tons per day. The cores and logging diagrams were taken by the head of the Shaim geological exploration expedition, M. V. Shalavin, together with geophysicist V. A. Irbe, by helicopter, by motor transport, by train to Tyumen, to the address of Yu. G. Hervier, only in Tyumen a decision was made on the descent of the casing. On June 13, 1960, drilling of the R-6 well was completed. The penetration to a depth of 1,523 meters was carried out in 18 days. On June 17, perforation began, and on June 18, the well was detonated.