The place where the Tobolsk troops were held has long been the Parade Ground or Parade Ground Square. It is known that, being in Tobolsk in June 1837, the heir to the throne Tsarevich Alexander Nikolaevich (the future Emperor Alexander II) took part in the parade.
Following him, Tobolsk was visited by his sons Alexey and Vladimir. Vladimir Alexandrovich (the fourth son of Alexander II), Admiral of the Russian Fleet, was the first of the Romanovs to travel from Vladivostok to Tobolsk. The distinguished guest arrived in Tobolsk in June 1873. In honor of the arrival of Governor-General Alexander Petrovich Khrushchev, exercises of the Tobolsk battalion were conducted. His Highness was very pleased, deigned to drink tea in the company of officers. After the exercises, the Grand Duke attended a folk festival in Ermak's garden. During his stay in Tobolsk, he wished to see P.P. Yershov's widow Elena and gave her children 200 rubles.
During the celebration of the 300th anniversary of Tobolsk, the Alexander Chapel was consecrated on the Parade Ground. After that, part of the square was fenced off for the construction of the square. Since that time, the reviews of the Tobolsk troops were held on the main square of the city – cathedral.
The large size of the square made it possible to hold events grandiosely and on a grand scale. The clear rows were watched by onlookers from the roofs of houses and bell towers of churches located nearby.