The history of aviation in Tyumen has more than six decades. Infrastructure development began in 1932 with the creation of the Plekhanovo Airport and the hydroport on Lake Andreevsky, which were originally part of the Omsk association of Glavsevmorputi. At this time, the Sh-1 Sh-2 and PO-2 aircraft appeared here. After the war, the airport received An-2 aircraft and Mi-1, Ka-15, Ka-18 helicopters. In the early 60s, Li-2 aircraft, Mi-4 helicopters were received, and a little later - Mi-6.
Almost simultaneously, in the north of the Tyumen region, in Salekhard, Berezov, Khanty-Mansiysk, Tobolsk, air enterprises are being created, structurally united into the Tyumen Aviation Group, which in 1957 became part of the Ural Civil Aviation Administration. The first commander of the Tyumen Air Group was L.A. Volkov, he was replaced by K.A. Luzhetsky.
In the late 1950s - early 1960s, geologists of the Tyumen region discovered large oil and gas reserves in the Middle Ob and in the north of the region (in the districts of Urengoy, Nadym and Noyabrsk). The first deposits were discovered in the area of Shaim and Berezov. Later, oil reserves were discovered near Surgut and Nefteyugansk.
Further search and development of hydrocarbon deposits in the Tyumen region, where mineral prospectors had to work in the summer actually in a swamp, and in winter in conditions of constant snow drifts, with the complete absence of highways and railways, without the use of aviation, became simply impossible. The shortage of airfields with well-equipped runways made heavy-duty helicopters simply irreplaceable.
Since the cities and towns of the Tyumen region were mainly located along the banks of the Ob, Irtysh, Tobol, and Tura, the pioneers of the subsoil of the region faced another problem - the problem of arranging new settlements that arise along the way of laying an oil and gas pipeline. It was also possible to solve this problem only with the help of medium helicopters Mi-8T, Mi-6, Mi-6A, Mi-10K and later - heavy Mi-26T.
Since 1958, Mi-1 and Mi-4 helicopters have been most used in the Tyumen region. Almost ten years later, there were 57 and 80 units. Mi-1 helicopters were used as postal communications and for geophysical exploration by geologists. However, Mi-4 became the main assistants of oilmen, geologists and gas workers in the work on the discovery and development of oil and gas fields.
With the help of helicopters, drilling crews, rigging equipment, spare parts were transported to development sites, sometimes located at a distance of 100 to 400 km from roads, and fuel for drilling was delivered on an external suspension. In off-road conditions, this has significantly reduced the cost of hydrocarbon production. Without the use of a helicopter, the implementation of drilling technology in many ways becomes simply impossible.
At the beginning of 1970, Mi-8T helicopters produced by the Kazan Helicopter Plant arrived at the aviation enterprises of the department. These more productive machines replaced the Mi-1 and Mi-4 helicopters. Since that time, the Mi-8T has become the main working machine in the Tyumen region. Their total number has reached 280 units. Every day in the sky of Tyumen in the late 70's - early 80's rose from 220 to 240 helicopters. During these years, unique oil and gas fields are being discovered in the region, new cities are being built in uninhabited places - Nizhnevartovsk, Nefteyugansk, Nadym, Novy Urengoy, Noyabrsk, Surgut and others are being settled. Today, these are no longer just "settlements", but real centers of civilization.
Currently, Mi-6, Mi-6A, Mi-8, Mi-10K, Mi-26, Mi-8MTV-1 helicopters are flying in the Tyumen region. The latter transport packages of drilling pipes, power transmission poles, install unmounted power lines, drilling rigs, pipes for oil and gas pipelines, transport equipment and other national economic goods. All work is carried out in accordance with the possible payload of helicopters of various sizes. Thanks to the Mi-10K crane, television appeared in all settlements of the region. The intensity of the use of rotary-wing technology is indicated by the fact that in our region the helicopter worked out the established overhaul life from 1000 to 1500 hours in 11-14 months.