Railways were extremely important for the development of Siberia. In 1861, the question was raised about the need to build the Tyumen - Perm railway to connect the Kama and the Tura River. This project has been discussed more than once in the Ministry of Railways. At the end of 1879, the Ministry received three projects: 1) carrying out the Nizhny Tagil – Irbit railway through the Saldinsky and Alapaevsky plants; 2) Nizhny Tagil – Irbit – Tobolsk; 3) Yekaterinburg – Tyumen. In December 1882, due to lower costs, the Yekaterinburg – Tyumen line project was approved.
The railway was laid to the city in 1885, but only by 1912 the Trans-Siberian railway was continued further east.
Grigory Rasputin was often waiting for a train to St. Petersburg at the Tyumen railway station. One day he was dissatisfied with the station toilet and gave money to build a new, more comfortable one.
The station was small, two-storied. It was located on the site of the platform of the modern railway station. Inside, the station was divided into three parts: a ticket hall, a waiting room with massive oak sofas, and a restaurant. At the doors leading to the platform hung a bell, which was rung by the attendant at the station, going out to meet the passenger train.
A square with a public garden and a fountain was laid out in front of the station from the city side. In the center of the fountain bowl there was a sculpture in the form of a doe lying on the stones and a standing deer with branched horns. A new railway station was built on the site of this square, and a sculptural group of deer was moved to the Zaslonov pioneer camp, near the Tugulym station.
The old station was ordered to be demolished in one night in order to open a new building on the eve of the October holidays of 1974.